1,5kg Soft shin or chuck steak, cubed
30ml Cake flour
15ml Ground coriander
1 Onion, diced
3 Celery stalks, diced
2 Carrots, diced
8 Rashers streaky bacon
1 Head of garlic, separated into cloves
750ml Red wine
12 - 16 Baby onions, peeled
300g Baby black mushrooms
40ml Fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Dust the beef with the flour and coriander, and fry in batches until it is well browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Fry the onion, celery, carrots, bacon and garlic until soft and slightly browned then deglaze the pan with a little red wine.
3. Add the baby onions, beef and the rest of the red wine, and simmer until the meat is tender, about an hour and a half.
4. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 10 minutes.
5. Mix through the parsley, adjust the seasoning and serve with creamy mashed potatoes.