15ml Olive oil
4 Chicken drumsticks
4 Chicken thighs
2 Sprigs of thyme, plus a little extra, finely chopped
2 Sprigs of sage
1 Leek, chopped
3 Shallots, chopped
4 Carrots, peeled and julienned
500g Parsnips, quartered lengthwise
400ml Hot chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Lightly brown the chicken on all sides. Do this in batches to ensure that the chicken seals properly and doesn't only steam.
2. Return all the chicken pieces to the pan and add the thyme and sage.
3. Place the leek, shallots, carrots and parsnips on top.
4. Pour the stock over, place the lid on the pan and bring to a simmer. Leave to stew for 30 minutes.
5. Remove the lid and gently simmer for another 15 minutes to allow the juices to reduce slightly.
6. Remove the chicken and all the shallots, and most of the carrots and parsnips, leaving 4 - 6 pieces of each plus the juices in the pan. Using a hand-held blender, process these vegetables and the juices together.
7. Add the remaining sage and the cream to the pan, and return the chicken and vegetables. Heat through without boiling and season to taste before serving.